Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 6 of 365 of The Great Makeup Challenge




 Day 6 of 365 of The Great Makeup Challenge: Gym-Proof, Sweat-Proof, Life-Proof Makeup. Really, it is possible!

What you will need:
  • Tinted  moisturizer (Philosphy’s The Supernatural remains my highest recommendation.  You’re really looking for something that will be light enough to not make you sweat while giving you natural-looking coverage)
  • Concealer (Still swear by Benefit’s Erase Paste)
  • Powder (I recommend Sephora’s Mineral loose powder)

  • Cream Bronzer (I used Lancome’s Star Bronzer Cream-to-Powder Bronzing Veil in 01 Dorè)
  • Cream Blush or a Cheek Stain (I used Benefit’s Benetint rose-tinted lip & cheek stain, which helped serve double duty on my lips and cheeks)

  • Cream eyeshadow (I used Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Cream Waterproof Cream Color)

  • Waterproof eyeliner for around the eyes (I swear by Sephora’s own brand in the Flashy Liner Waterproof line, which I used 07 flashy copper today)
  • Waterproof eyeliner for the inner rims (I used Pop Beauty’s in-liner in No. 1 Black and Tarte’s emphasEYES inner rim brightener today)

  • Waterproof mascara (Maybelline’s Lash Stiletto Voluptuous Waterproof mascara in black was my pick of the day)

  • Lip stain and tinted lip balm (Today was a combination of Benetint lip stain as noted above, and Hello Kitty Apple Balm)

Instructions:

After nearly a month of miserable rain with only a few breaks of sun, we received a beautiful dose of sunshine and mild temperatures (60s!) today, and I was inspired!  It brought to mind days in the sun and sweating off makeup, leaving me looking peaked and, well, like a raccoon.  As I thought about this, I also thought about the days dodging into the gym, hoping not to run into anyone I know, as I had gone without makeup to prevent the inevitable mess.  I know I’m not alone in this.  We’ve all been there.  We’ve done our makeup only to have it demolished, or gone without to avoid the end result only to run into everyone we don’t want to see (when we’re makeup-free, of course).  So today I challenged myself to piece together a simple, clean makeup look that would survive the gym, the sun, and any other sweat-producing activities, while still maintaining a natural glow.  The added challenge?  Not to look like that one Barbie doll at the gym who comes in with her face plastered in makeup.  I was thinking simple, lasting makeup that can take you through the day, even if that means running errands or running after kids.  After all, life brings us sweat, but we can look pretty when doing it!

The key to the base for this makeup is in your moisturizer.  The lighter, the better.  After all, I know heavier moisturizers tend to make me sweat even more.  Once again, Philosophy’s The Supernatural tinted moisturizer is my go-to for such a situation.  It’s light, moisturizing, evens out your complexion, and gives you a dose of color without a heavy foundation.  I applied my standard concealer à la the Five Minute Wake Up Makeup instructions, as well as a light dusting of powder all around to help set everything. 

I still wanted to contour my cheeks, but in this case I opted for a cream-to-powder bronzer under the cheekbones.  Why the cream?  It has more staying power, and with the cream-to-powder option, it dries to a light finish.  For a rosy, flushed glow, I used Benefit’s Benetint rose-tinted lip & cheek stain on the apples of my cheeks.  The key to applying any cheek stain is to apply it one cheek at a time, blending it into the apples of the cheeks before it begins to dry (which can leave unpleasant streaks).  I personally add a little at a time, allowing it to dry and adding another coat if necessary to reach the perfect shade.  I opted for a cheek stain, as it does just what it says it will: stains the cheeks, staying in place all day long.  The bonus of Benefit’s Benetint is that it doubles as a lip stain, so I swiped a quick coat on my lips, allowing it to dry while I moved on to my eyes.

In place of eyeshadow, I opted for Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Cream waterproof cream color for a soft, budge-proof glow along my lids and the crease.  You can also opt to use this as your blush instead of a stain.  I then lined the inner rims of my top lids with Pop Beauty’s in-liner in No. 1 Black, followed by Tarte’s emphasEYES inner rim brightener along the bottom inner rims.  Both stay put, and the black on top adds definitions to the eyes, while the light color on bottom helps to brighten the eyes up.  (Check out my Moody Makeup post for inner rim lining tips!)  I followed this up with Sephora’s Flashy Liner Waterproof eyeliner in 07 flashy copper in a thin line around the entire eye, adding a bit more in the inner corner of the eye.  This pretty, coppery eyeliner not only stays put, but it also adds to that ‘inner glow’ look.  I then finished off my lashes with Maybelline’s Lash Stiletto Voluptuous Waterproof mascara in black on my top lashes to open up my eyes and add definition.

Finally, I finished off my lips with Hello Kitty Apple Balm, a tinted lip balm that serves double-duty as a balm and a bit of pretty color.  You can substitute any colored lip balm that you prefer.  I personally opt for the balm as my lips tend to dry out in the sun or at the gym, and touching up my lips while moisturizing is ideal.
Essentially, today’s look was simple, but it had staying powder.  Opting for products that will last and even do double-duty can help you make it through your day without the need for constant touch-ups.  It’s a few simple makeup steps that can see you through the day, no matter how tough it may be!

Post your photos, ask any questions you may have, or share any ideas you want me to try our via reply post or Email Me!

See you tomorrow for Day 7 of The Great Makeup Challenge!

Note: All products I recommended above are available from Sephora, Ulta, your local department store, or your local drug store.

No comments:

Post a Comment