Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 10 of The Great Makeup Challenge!














Day 10 of 365 of The Great Makeup Challenge: Pink and Pouty. In honor of October's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I am dedicating my second week of The Challenge to pink  makeup!  Today's inspiration came from the advertisement above from Estee Lauder.  The ad is for lipstick being sold as part of the Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign

The inspiration came not from the ad in general, but rather from the model on the left.  Look closely at her lips.  Do you notice something odd?  If you're like me, you noticed that her lips are actually partially drawn on.  Yes, not all models have lips to die for.  They really are human.  When looking at the photo, I was amazed at the natural look achieved even when the lips are not all real.  When I think of drawing on lips, I picture bad makeup applications that scream "look at me! I drew my lips on today!"  So this is where my challenge came from.  Could I add to my lip volume without making it obvious that I did so?  You be the judge...and be honest!

What you will need:
Instructions:
For my base, I started out with a blend of two of Sephora's primers (the sheer glow and highlighting Base Sublimatrice Primers) to create a glowing, even base color. I used Benefit Erase Paste to conceal my under eye circles, and sealed it all with a dusting of loose mineral powder. I wanted to keep my cheeks simple today, so I swiped on Tarte Natural Cheek Stain in Green Siren along the apples of the cheeks and the cheekbones, highlighting the top of the cheekbones with Benefit Cosmetics Girl Meets Pearl Golden Pink .

Moving to my eyes, I applied MAC's frost eye shadow in Naked Lunch to the browbone, and added a pop of shine with NYX Cosmetics Loose Pearl Eye Shadow in Mink Pearl on the eyelid. I lined the inner rims of my eyes with Tarte emphasEYES High Definition Inner Rim Eye Pencil in Black (Remeber to check out my Moody Makeup post for inner rim lining tips!). To up the vampy look of the day, I thickly lined around the eyes with black liner (Clarins Eye Pencil in No. 01 Black), cleaning up any messy lines with my trusty Q-tips! I finished the eyes with two coats of Maybelline Lash Stiletto Waterproof Mascara in Black on top and bottom lashes.
 
Now for the real challenge of the day: the lips. I started by lining just outside of my lips all the way around with Prestige Classic Lipliner Pencil in Cameo , and then I filled in my lips themselves for an even color base. As easy as this sounds, I will be honest here: I applied, took off, re-applied, cleaned up with Q-tips, re-applied again. I stepped back, stepped back in, scrutinized, and eyed my lips like they were something alien. It is an odd feeling. I felt like a rodeo clown. So I asked for an outside opinion, and I was told that they looked natural! Success! Well, at least on the base. I then added a dark pink lipstick in keeping with this week's theme (let us not forget that pink comes in shades from a frosty-Barbie color to almost red!). I added a dot of lip gloss to the center of the top and bottom lips ONLY. The point? To draw the eye away from the outside lines and to make the lips look (naturally) plumper.

Then I stood back and stared. To my eye, it looked odd and unnatural. My outside source? "Wow! Those look real!" Hmm...being nice or truthful? Take a look at the photos. Scrutinize. Evaluate. Give me feedback! I want the truth (painful or not!). If you decide to brave this challenge with me, share your experiences! Send me photos! I can't be in this alone!


Show me your best pink makeup for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Post your photos, ask any questions you may have, or share any ideas you want me to try out via reply post or Email Me!
 
See you tomorrow for Day 11 of The Great Makeup Challenge!

Note: All products I recommended above are available from Sephora, Ulta, your local department store, your local drug store, or through Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment