Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 21 of The Great Makeup Challenge






Day 21 of 365 of The Great Makeup Challenge: It's Time for Follower Friday!  Yes, it's Follower Friday again, and as promised, we're going to go back to visit with our friend Michelle M. from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania. As you may recall, Michelle submitted the following question:

"I love seeing color used in makeup... like completely unexpected color... but, I guess I feel like I need a way to ease into it, to use stand-out color but not have a wild looking face. Is there a way to use bold colors that look somewhat natural?"



Last week on Follower Friday, I addressed part of Michelle's question, which how to start wearing color if you are someone who typically wears either no makeup or natural makeup.  After all, this is a problem that most people I talk to have: they are scared of trying something new, or just unsure of how to do so.  Check out last week's Follower Friday post for few tips on how to get over that fear.


Today, I'm going to address the second part of Michelle's question by exploring varying ways to use bold, unexpected colors without looking like you stepped out of the circus.  I'm going to take the approach from a natural look and add a pop of bold, unexpected color.  There are a few different ways that you can do this.  I will demonstrate one really simple way to ease into it.  However, I'm also going to give you some tips on different ways you can integrate integrate varying pops of color into your look.  Of course, remember if you have any questions about this topic or any others, submit your questions the via my Submit page above or Email Me, and I’ll be glad to answer.  Now let's get down to business for today's Follower Friday question!


What you will need:

 
Instructions:
First, for my base I started with a tinted primer combination I've used before, a mix of two great Sephora primers(the sheer glow and highlighting Base Sublimatrice Primers). The combination provides a smooth, even base, and it gives your skin a bit of warmth and a natural looking glow.  This base can really be key when you're opting for a natural makeup look.  I then proceeded with my standard application of concealer under my eyes to cover up my under eye circles.  As you may have noticed, this is a daily step in my makeup routine.  Of course, whenever I reference this step, I realize that not everyone is going to need to do it.  However, you can use this step to apply concealer to any imperfections you may want to cover up, such as dark spots, acne, rosacea, etc.  Keep in mind that concealer can be a woman's best friend!

Next, I applied a light dusting of the Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder that I had tried out yesterday.  I am becoming a fan of this powder , as it provides a nice even coverage and really helps to set any base you put on beforehand.  Also, and this is a big benefit for me, it really helps to control shine that may occur from my skin's oil production throughout the day.  The added bonus?  It doesn't dry my skin out in the process.  I recommend you give it a try!  Sephora usually has free samples to try out, as I did, so it won't hurt your wallet to do so!

Moving on, I really like a natural look to have a lot of warmth.  Not only does it help prevent you from looking sickly, it also serves as a great backdrop for our bright pop of color.  I went once again with the Wet 'n' Wild MegaGlo Illuminating Powder set.  I started by applying a light dusting of the darker shades of the palette across my entire face and down the neck to provide an overall warm up of my complexion.  I followed this by applying those darker shades into the hollows of my cheeks and along the bottom of the jawline for definition.  Then I applied the lighter shades of the palette along the tops of the cheekbones upward to the temples.  You may note that I've used this product quite a bit.  For anybody out there who's starting to use makeup (or even those who are product junkies like me), this palette is a really good option to add to your makeup toolkit.  It contains both bronzing colors and highlighting colors in complementary shades all in one palette.  The best part?  It's only $2.99 (U.S.) at your local drug store!

For my blush, I opted to again utilize Chanel’s Tempting Beige Powder Blush on the apples of the cheeks.  However, I then topped that with Lancome Blush Subtil Delicate Oil-Free Powder Blush in Rose Romantique.  This not only gave me a warm glow, but that pretty rosy color on top gave a soft natural flush.  I've mentioned this before, but I can't say it enough: don't be afraid to mix blush colors!  After all, most blush colors aren't going to be a perfect match for your skin tone or the right tone for your makeup look for the day.  It's okay to mix, I promise!

For my eyeshadow, I opted to use the Too Faced Naked Eye palette from the Eye Love Exclusive Eyeshadow Collection.  The Naked Eye palette is comprised of Heaven, a matte warm ivory shade, and Push-Up, a shimmery bronze shade.  I highly recommend the entire Too Faced Eye Love Exclusive Eyeshadow Collection for anyone who is unsure of the best way to mix eyeshadows.  Not only does only does the palette come with complementary colors for ease of matching, it also comes with easy step-by-step instructions on different ways you can apply those eyeshadows!  For my own application today, I applied Heaven starting at the inner corner of the eye, sweeping it upward along the brown bone, and then on the inner half of the eye lid.  I then blended Push-Up into the crease, onto the outer half of the eyelid, and around the outer corner of the eye, including a small portion of the bottom lash line.  Next, lined the inner rims of my eyes with my favorite black inner rim liner.  You can opt to skip this step if you prefer, but I really like the contrast and definition that it provides.

Now to get down to business: how to work in that unexpected pop of color.  The recommendations I'm about to give you leave room for a lot of variations.  You can choose to go with whatever color or color combinations you would prefer.  I decided to start off with the simplest way to add a pop of color without going over the top.  All you need to do is find one bright eyeliner.  Find a color in an eyeliner that you typically wouldn't wear.  By this I mean no black, brown, or grey.  Step out of your comfort zone.  Choose something with a little OOMPH!  For my own application today, I started with colors that I thought might be easy for you, my dear follower, Michelle M., to start off with.  I selected Sephora Flashy Liner in Flashy Green.  I used this to line my top lash line and subtly around the outer corners of the eyes.  You can stop there or keep lining all the way around the eyes.  This really is about your comfort zone when you are first experimenting with color.  Another option is to take a complementary color and line the bottom lash line.  I opted to do that using Sephora Flashy Liner in Flashy Mauve.  I also lined the inner corners with the Flashy Mauve color since it's a light, bright color, helping to open up the eyes.  Now, when you look at the photos above, you might notice that this simple eyeliner application adds a little something, but it isn't anything wild (especially for the kind of makeup I adore!).  However, the simple addition of a bright eyeliner to an otherwise natural palette is a quick and easy way to add just the right amount of unexpected color.  As your comfort zone grows, you can opt for wilder colors for your eyeliner.  You can use hot pink, bright blue, orange, red, etc.  The sky is the limit!

I finished my eye look with two coats of Benefit Cosmetics BADgal Waterproof Mascara to the top lashes and one coat the bottom.  You may notice that I've opted for waterproof eyeliner and mascara today.  Truth is, I'm going for a massage this morning!  For anyone who has gone for massage, you know that you have to put your face in cradle while your back is being worked on.  If you've gone in for that nice, relaxing massage with makeup that isn't waterproof or smudge-proof, you have probably stood up to have one of my past experiences: raccoon eyes!  So when going for a massage, take my advice: go waterproof!

As I noted earlier, I want to discuss other variations for adding an unexpected pop of color.  Going back to the eyes, one option is to add a vivid, unexpected eyeshadow color of your choice to the eyelid only.  Don't extend the shadow any further than the eyelid.  When your eyes are open, there will be just a slight hint of color, but when you close your eyes (or just look down), there's a fantastic 'WOW' moment as the full color is revealed.  Don't be afraid to try a variety of colors in varying shades.  For instance, a bright yellow can be completely unexpected and gorgeous.  Don't be afraid to be daring with your color choice, and remember that even within your color selection the actual shade can vary from deep, rich color to bright electric hues.  Experiment!  The more you try out these bright bursts of color, the more you're going to realize just how much you love it!

Going back to my look today, I needed something for my lips to complete my look.  This presents another opportunity for you to use a bright unexpected pop of color.  You can choose to keep your eye makeup in a natural palette and opt for your pop of color to be your lip color.  Of course, lip colors can vary from electric pigments to bright corals to great shades of red, pink, purple, or even orange.  My Day 17 post demonstrates that an orange lip can actually be completely stunning!  Once again, don't be afraid to experiment!

Also, remember that if you opt to go with the bright lip color, eyeshadow, or eyeliner, the less you apply, the lighter the pop of color.  Of course, that means that the more you apply, the brighter the pop of color.  So you really are in control of how vivid that pop of color is going to be.  If you need to start light, go ahead.  Just don't be afraid to take risks and just go for it!

For my lipstick today, I tried out another new one for me, Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color in Coral-ine.  I instantly became a big fan of this color.  I layered on a few coats because I love a strong lip.  The shade of this color will actually be very flattering on almost all skin tones.  Extra bonus?  It only costs about 99 cents at your local drug store.  If you want to try out a pop of color on your lips, this may be a great option for you.  Add a little or add a lot, whatever you're comfortable with.

So, Michelle M., I hope I gave you some ideas on how to add a bright, unexpected pop of color to your daily natural makeup routine!  I also hope others out there also get some inspiration!  Now you know what I'm going to say next: I want to see you try it out!  Try it!  Love it!  I promise you can do it!  Once you do, I want you to share with me.  Share what you try out and send me photos!  And remember, if you have any questions about colors or products, ask away via my Submit page above or Email Me!

See you tomorrow for Day 22 of The Great Makeup Challenge!

Note: All products I recommended above are available from Sephora, Ulta, your local department store, your local drug store, or through Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment